Monday, February 14, 2011

Pastor's Circle - H.B. London, Focus on the Family

H.B. London, Jr. has served as vice president of Ministry Outreach/Pastoral Ministries for Focus on the Family and has co-authored numerous books. He is known as America's "Pastor to pastors."

Can you describe the most influential pastor in your life?
I've gotta go way back.

I think that if you had to talk about the most influential man in my life, it was my grandfather who was a Sunday School evangelist.

When I was kind of a rebel and a malcontent, he stood by me, when everyone walked away.

But as far as a pastor goes, I think it was a youth pastor in California, when I got into trouble, who just refused to let go...I'll always be grateful to him because of that.

Youth pastors can be extremely effective. For one thing they're not too far removed from where their young people are.

They're accessible. Too many pastors today are office-bound and going to conferences. They don't have time to spend with young people like they used to.

What are some characteristics in an effective pastor?
Genuine love for people. When we begin to see people as individuals for whom Jesus died.

They preach and teach the word.

Boldness. The ability for a pastor to speak boldy to the issues of society, instead of just speaking to be approved of.

And their own personal devotion life.

Why is that package so rare?
Ministry is really tough today, and it's going to get tougher.

We live in a consumer society..in the church people can vote with their pocketbook or their feet.

Denominations aren't as important as they used to be, loyalty isn't as important as it used to be.

I would think 50-60% of the pastors out there would measure up to the characteristics I just said.

I had been in minstry about ten years and had had a lot of success...but in my heart I knew that I was in the wrong place.

I was doing things to build my own ego and build my own career.

There was a moment of real surrender when I had to realize that these were God's people.

It was a moment of surrender for my whole ministry and everything else.

Why is there so much pastoral burnout?
I think we live in a day and age when we don't have all the answers any more.

We did surveys and found out that pastors have four things they deal with.

One, loneliness...Two, isolation...Three, so much uncertainty...Four, inadequacy.

How find passion? A lot of the passion comes with a call that God has put in your life. And not allowing yourself to get down.

You may have to go through some ups and downs and all arounds to get where God wants you to go.

Advice to 17-year-old wanting to go into ministry?
Begin to use your gifts and graces to the best extent.

Do what you're best at.

Don't just wait for a mission event. Don't just wait to go to college. Begin to use and develop your gifts right now. Have someone walk into your life to develop skill now.

There's no time table. God wants us to serve now.

Get involved in some kind of ministry in your church or whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment