Saturday, December 15, 2012

Journal: The Greatest Test of Your Sanctification

-->
Typically, I read the “8” Psalms on dates that end in eight (today, the 28th).  So today I read and prayed through Psalms 8,18,28,38,48 etc.  Except today, in the early hour, I got off track and read 59 instead of 58.  When this happens, I assume the Lord WANTED it to happen.

This might be why:  59:9-10a 

“O my Strength I watch for you;
you, O God, are my fortress, my loving God.”

David writes this Psalm, so it is thought, from the vantage point of a night escape from the upper window of his house (1 Sam. 19:11ff).   “Saul sent men to David’s house to watch it and kill him in the morning.”

When David is in distress, talk with God frequently gets VERY personal…my Strength…my fortress…my loving God.  But woven in this intimate conversation is an important phrase – I watch (shamar) for you.  It could be alternatively translated “cling to” or “search expectantly for.” 

Get this now – Saul sent men to watch (shamar – same word as David used) and kill.  So – it matters what you are “clinging to” and “searching expectantly for.”  Got priorities straight this morning?

I love the Christmas story this way:  
  • Herod watched...to kill. 
  • Mary watched...but didn't apparently get it fully - she wondered, pondered. 
  • Simeon watched...and then said "Let me die."
  • Anna watched...then wanted to go tell.  "She spoke about the child to all who were looking forward to the redemption of Israel."
As an evangelism professor, I have learned to love Anna in this story. 

--------------------------

My friend Bill Ury says that the greatest test of your sanctification is your next conversation…your next encounter.  I like that.  Watch for Him in that encounter. 

“Lord, sometime today (and maybe many times) I will need an extra dose of Your strength (power) and Your fortress (protection) and Your love (affection).  By Your grace, help me to intently watch for You in those times…to cling to You…to expect You…to search for you – even as, perchance, I am climbing out of my window to escape the enemies that surround.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment