Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Pastor's Circle - Rurel Ausley, Niceville Fla. United Methodist

How did you know you were called?
When you become a Christian you just need to begin asking some questions and one of those questions is, "Lord, what do you want to do with my life."

I said "Lord, if you want me to preach...would you give me an opportunity in a church somewhere my testimony and what you've been doing in my life?"

The call on preachers?
I don't know if all preachers get a call like mine. But all of the pastors I know feel like they've got a very specific call that took them into the preaching ministry.

The ministry is a very tough place. If you choose to get into it, you can choose to get out of it.

All of the times I wanted to quit, I remembered God called me and he's not done with me yet. It gives you a staying power.

Any viable vocation, we can be called to and do unto the Lord with a sense of calling, the same sense of calling that you or I have in the pastoral ministry.

What are you telling your congregation about their call?
Of course, we challenge them to service.

We challenge our young people to start thinking in terms of ministry.

The philosophy...is that you graduate high school, you graduate college, then you get a job doing something you can make money in. But we are continually challenging people to think about the Great Commission.

We challenge older people to finish well...to go to the mission field if God's calling them to do that.

And under all of that is the theology that we believe God is still calling people today.

Ways of being called?
God deals with us as individuals. We can't normalized any spiritual experience.

Through whatever means God uses for any of us, we come to this conclusion that this is what I was made for and this is what I'm equpped for and I'm in the center of what God is calling me to do.
When people can see a need and are involved in a ministry that's meeting a need, that's a call.

(Christians) don't just want to be sitting on a committee.

No comments:

Post a Comment