Monday, February 7, 2011

Pastor's Circle - Bill Ury, Wesley Biblical Seminary

Dr. Bill Ury is Professor of Systematic Theology at Wesley Biblical Seminary and host of the Hour of Holiness on AFR on Sunday mornings.

What do events like the Superbowl teach us?
Did the early Church have issues like this to deal with?
They did. The early Christians did. All of the early Christian fathers talked about the theatre...it was full of violence, lewdness, and perversion.

Over the centuries. I think we as Christians have softened in areas, connected with things..but the seemingly over-idolization, I just can't connect with these guys at all.

That to me seems to be a problem...We need to find a better way to appropriate sports in our lives.

What is a good discipleship question to ask about getting sucked in by pop culture?
Being a missionary kid, you know, I think I'm more at ease about popular culture and the role of sports. Sports isn't something I live and day for.

In the context of discipleship, keeping each other accountable for how we spend our time.

For me personally, unless you start your day with Jesus, it's going to affect how you live.

Secondly, what do you spend your time talking about? If it's only about sports and never comes back to Jesus, there's going to be a problem.

Enjoy life, but what are you doing to proclaim the gospel?
I think the Holy Spirit's gotta help us...for the real issues beyond the game. The real issues, that's just our calling.

What is currently encouraging about America Christianity?
I think I'm encouraged with the youth.

My daughter just came back from a conference where youth were taking a stand for Jesus. Those folks were sold out to Jesus. I think 17,000 people stood to say, "My life is sold out to Jesus". To me, that's a thrilling thing.

If we can catch this generation with the claims of Jesus, there's hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment