Thursday, August 4, 2011

Interview with Rick Perry

Texas Governor Rick Perry was on the Matt Friedeman Show discussing the Response and his own journey as a Christian.

Talk to us about the genesis of this prayer emphasis.
It actually was just a conversation I had with some friends.

We were just talking about when you look at what's going on in America, when you look at the economic problems. We were just discussing back in December about having a day of prayer.

We just decided what a great idea to follow the instructions in Joel 2, it gives us clear instructions to blow the trump in Zion, call a solemn fast....

It gives clear instructions for a nation to come together. Obviously in context here, the nation had gotten off track...Joel clearly gives us instructions on how to get back on track.

By the grace of God, that's what we're going to do.

It's nothing more or nothing less. Some people want to say this is about a governor who wants to get more exposure for himself.

The fact is, this isn't about me...it's about Jesus, and it's about lifting up our concerns to him, asking for guidance and asking for forgiveness and asking for grace.
What about your religious faith? I think a lot of people are interested in your religious pilgrimage.
Again, you're absolutely correct. This is not about me.

Throughout my tenure in Texas...we've had a day of prayer to correspond with the national day of prayer.

This is not out of the ordinary for me at all. I can't separate my faith and my public life in any form or fashion.

I grew up in a really small place, about sixteen miles from the closest place that had a post office.

We went to a little Methodist church out in the country. I was led to Christ as a young man at a church camp, actually.

I went off as a pilot in the Air Force after that....I decided I didn't need all that - religion and God.

In 1977 I left the Air Force, and God dealt with me in a very harsh way.

I was making a decision about going into the ministry.

I thought I was supposed to go down to South America with the Wycliffe Bible Commentators as a pilot.

Long story short, there was a hurdle put up in my life.

None of us faithful Christians end up in life by coincidence.
Your desired outcome for this event. What difference might this gathering make?
This is just about God. This is just about asking him to raise our country up, to bless this nation again.

There's not any doubt that our founding fathers, that they were clearly people of faith.

It may just be me and a couple of ushers. But that's okay. We're going to do business with God.

We're going to pray for the president of the United States. We're going to pray for God's wisdom to be poured out on him.
Thanks, for being on the show today, Governor Perry.
Matt, God bless you and best to your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment