Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Pastor's Circle - Chris Lohrstorfer

 Dr. Chris Lohrstorfer is the pastor of Hinds Independent Methodist Church and an adjunct professor at Wesley Biblical Seminary. He joined The Matt Friedeman Show to discuss his church's upcoming "Friend Day". Here are the CliffsNotes of his interview.

Talk to me about "Friend Day."
What I try to do is help my church people participate in church growth. I'm going to give them the tools to use and the event to use to help them bring others in. 
It seems to work pretty well. It's not a magic bullet, but when people get interested in this event, they'll actually start inviting their friends. 
If you do it right, everybody can do it.

Is it a sin not to make disciples?
If you're going to be like Jesus, I think you need to get out where unsaved, unchurched people are. 
How are you going to make disciples if you don't get out and rub shoulders with people who aren't disciples? 
In the book of Acts, when Stephen is killed and the disciples are scattered, you see churches pop up wherever they go. Even under horrible circumstances, they're spreading the good news. 
I call it intentional Christian living. That means sharing my life with people who aren't like me.  
I think as pastors, we've got to encourage people to reach out. I've been preaching on it for several weeks now.

How will you retain these people?
Obviously, you want to give them several touches. I'll send them a letter. We'll take them a gift bag personally. 
And we'll try our best to get our church people to establish a relationship with that family.

No comments:

Post a Comment