Friday, September 16, 2011

Pastor's Circle - Jerry Horner

Jerry Horner has been a university professor and administrator since 1962. He also functions as the executive director of New Creation Ministries. He joined the Pastor's Circle to discuss prayer and fasting. Below are the "CliffsNotes" of his interview.

How essential is a daily prayer life?
How essential is it to eat food? How essential is it to breathe?

I daresay that you can measure a person's spiritual depth by his prayer life.

If prayer was so important that Jesus often went out alone in solitude to do it, how important must it be to us?
What should  you do when you pray?
First of all, you find a "prayer closet". Basically, to me, that means a place with no distractions.

To me, that is the key.

Getting away from not only physical distractions, but also with mental and spiritual ones.

Some people say it's easy to pray. But if you are wrestling and agonizing in prayer, it's very difficult.
Why do we find it difficult to praise God?
It's interesting you say that, because I remember a lesson I learned as a teenager. I've never forgotten it.

I heard a man say, "The only time people pray is when they pray to get something or to get out of something."

Maybe we ought to try the posture of praise in prayer more. That sets the tone.

Some people say, "Well, I'm too weighed down with problems." And I say, "Go to the Psalms.

Praise and "blah's" don't mix.
How important is fasting?
Fasting is a discipline where, as I said, your priority is in the spiritual.

It doesn't do any good to just do without food.

Anybody can do without food.

But what do you do in that place where you would normally eat?

Fasting focuses all attention and all energy on God.

No comments:

Post a Comment