Tuesday, July 26, 2011

"Be in all things a God-seeker and at all times a God-finder."

Fr. Albert Haase came on the show today to talk about how to regain lost time spiritually and enjoy the fullness of God in the here and now.


A lot of people look back over their life, and realize that they just lost time spiritually. What now?
That is a great question, Matt, because I'm so often asked by people who have just been converted.

The inevitable question that comes up is how can I make up for lost time?

That question has been around for years. Think about what Nicodemus asked Jesus, "How can I be born again?"

(Eckhart said) Be in all things a God-seeker and at all times a God-finder.

In so many ways we are surrounded by God.

Is it all that important to just pray throughout the day in general?
It comes down to the whole idea of grace and nature. I have to have the awareness and the openness. Once we put out the antenna, we come to discover that our God is a God of disguise and surprise.

Remember the parable Jesus tells in Matthew 25? When Jesus comes he will separate the sheep and the goats. The people said, "When did we see you hungry?"

He comes to us as a God of surprise and as a God of disguise.

How important is it to have times that are set apart for prayer?
I think sometimes people try to take a little path, and they say, "I catch God while I run."

Those are fine...but I think the point you make is good, Matt.

I wrote a book....called Coming Home to Your True Self. In that book I mentioned that my periods of prayer should make me prayerful.

Those moments. Those deliberate, intentional moments should make me more prayerful throughout the day.

I think the same sort of reasoning, if we only pray generally throughout the day leads to the thought that we don't need to go to church.
By the very nature of Christianity it is a family affair.

I get a little annoyed with people who say, "I'm spiritual, but not religious."

Let's assume that someone has already had their quiet time today. Give us some tips about how people can put their antenna up.
Throughout the day I'm constantly on the look. I'm always being attentive to the people who come into my life. I'm being attentive to how I feel in my body.

And most of all at the end of the day, I look over my day, and I ask myself, "Where was God today?"

It really requires this intention that God is a God of disguise and a God of surprise and even when we don't make an appointment, he shows up.

No comments:

Post a Comment