Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Pastor's Circle - Darryl Starnes

Darryl Starnes, Bishop for the AME Zion Church, joined the show today to address the issue of what the Church can do to combat the moral decay plaguing our nation.

How is it that a nation descends into a moral black hole?
Well, I think history has always proven that countries go through these cycles.

We may have a period of revival and morality...sensitivity to the things of God cause people to live on a higher moral plain. But then as generations come up...we have a tendency to have this happen.

It provides an opportunity for fresh ministry, a fresh opportunity to share Christ.
Are there challenges that we have today that other cultures haven't had?
When we say challenges unique to us, it's just unique for us in recent time. For a while, we've enjoyed what I call homecourt advantage.

Now, in this multicultural society where anything goes, we may not have that homecourt advantage, but we're more like the 1st century.

In one way it's disheartening. In another way it's exciting.
How are churches impacting their culture?
The greatest way I think is the way we live in the day to day walk of live as people interact with us.

Our worship services are very important, but if there's not a connection between Sunday morning and what we are in the week, there's something wrong.

Whose fault is it? Is it the church's fault?

I think that there's room for all of us in terms of fault. But when I look at a situation, I want to know, what am I going to be accountable to God for, what is He going to ask me about?

So I think that again, if we focus on how we can be that salt and that light...that is a good focus, that we look at ourselves.
How many churches are really being Salt and Light?
I'm not certain about how many churches, but I do believe that most churches have some people who truly are hungry and thirsty for righteousness.

The churches that have more of those people are the ones who cannot only make a difference as  individual Christians, but can make a difference as a faith community.
Do you see the small 'platoons' as the means of social change?
I really do.

I believe that when that small group accountability is authentic, it moves us outside of ourselves.

I believe that as we have that quality time with God, it will move us outwards. In the same way, God will move that small group outward.
What would you say to church leaders who want to turn moral decay around?
I would say that the most important thing we must do as pastors and church leaders is first of all to identity in the congregation those lay leaders who really have a heart for God. And really pour himself into those people.

I think we have to identify leaders, pour ourselves into them, then unleash them as change in society and the church.

No comments:

Post a Comment